Skip to main content

Joy in Weakness: Refining the riff raff

Isn't it amazing how God knows exactly how he needs to refine us? Wouldn't it be nice if he only gave us challenges that were easy to handle, where our character was already strong? Yeah, he doesn't work that way most of the time. It's exactly in our place of weakness that God throws us in the fire. Like he said to Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Isn't that the heart of the gospel? God's power in our weakness. This apparently was a lesson God drove home for Paul often. Elsewhere, Paul says, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Phil. 4:12-13  We often use this verse as a way to say we can accomplish anything we want through the power of Christ. But it seems to me that this passage is talking about the power to suffer, to be in "unfavorable" conditions. Paul's confidence in the power of Christ gives him endurance, peace, contentment. He doesn't have to strive through the affliction, worrying about how to get out of it or fearing for himself. He knows Christ will give him the power to endure. Oh, that I had that same contentment! That same faith...

God refines where we are the weakest. And he goes back and back again until we learn. God put Abraham in situations that constantly challenged him to have enormous amounts of faith in God's provision and protection. Leaving his country, going into foreign lands where he feared for his life, waiting till he was about 100 to have a child upon which hinged all of God's promise for descendants and a nation blessed by God, then being asked to sacrifice that son. As we see his journey, we begin with a man full of fear, needing to control his circumstances, not trusting in God's greatness, but by the end we see a man who willingly offers up his son, trusting God's power to even raise him from the dead. But it was a journey, and it took God's constant refining.

I have one of those. One of those areas that God keeps refining, and refining and refining. I guess (I hope) I grow a little each time, but it is never easy. I always like to think I've learned to trust God in that area, but then the refining comes, the pain, trying to take control, and I realize I still have not. My hope is that, just like for Paul and Abraham, God's grace will be sufficient for me. That the more I mess up, the closer God gets in there to reveal my weakness and work in His power. The weakness seems overwhelming. Lord, work your power in me. Give me the contentment that comes in knowing that you are, and that you will give me the strength I need in every situation. And may my joy come not in what I do or do not have, but in knowing and being with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movement

Now and again there is a personal question that just seems impossible to answer, whether it is because the question is too emotionally charged, too complex or you just really don't know! Recently I have been asked frequently how I am doing with my recent move. As simple as that question seems, I have had the hardest time answering! Movement is complicated. Movement by its own nature is unresolved. And... I am still in movement.

The beautiful thing about movement led by God is that it is an act of trust, and trust always draws us closer to Him. Moving from California to small-town Arkansas is a challenge to say the least. There is a letting go of many beautiful and meaningful things and people. But as I am moving into this place of obedience, listening and dependence that movement necessarily brings, I am sensing a deeper, wider well of the Spirit's wisdom and pull.  There is a serenity as I gaze into that well in the midst of the movement, and there is an awareness that God i…

Soul Rest

It is one of those beautiful rare moments of rest. Real soul rest, when the sin that has been eating at our hearts is revealed, confessed and healed. What peace! Oh that those moments would not be so rare but that I would become adamant about asking God to reveal my sin and give the grace of repentance and cleansing. I read in a book today that we often ask God to snap his fingers to bring healing or change, but we are unwilling to look at the root of the pain or behavior.  He knows better... A symptom that is instantly removed without true healing will inevitably return, and often even more entrenched as we choose the sin again that is strengthening it. Sometimes our suffering is God's grace to reveal the source of our pain or reactions so that we will see the pattern, the depth of the wound, the need for healing and the sin that has grown in response to the wound. Sometimes this sin is more harmful to our souls than the original wound, as we scramble to protect, defend, control …

The Call

I had a moment of compassion for Moses the other day.  What a confusing life this guy had!  Adopted by Pharoah's daughter, but raised by his mother for the first few years of life.  Then taken away from his mother to go live in Pharoah's household.  Meanwhile his family and friends are slaves, suffering because of the unjust treatment of his adoptive family.  He is not fully a part of either family, living on the edge of both.  Then in a moment of anger over the injustice, he tried to defend his people by killing one of the slavemasters.   The result: Both his biological and adoptive families rejected him!  He flees into the desert and ends up forming a completely new family through his new wife.  He finally belongs!  Then, years later... he stumbles upon a burning bush, and a God he doesn't even know tells him to go back to Egypt to lead his people out of Egypt against the will of the Pharoah, the most powerful military force in the world.  Riiiiiiiight...   It's easy…