Skip to main content

The Whisper

There's a hummingbird outside my window. It is like a whisper of God to my soul. Years ago, another hummingbird created in me a longing for its lightness and freedom, as it flitted about, wings beating 1500 times/minute, as if it were the most natural thing in the world to do. Its body is a machine of power, speed and beauty, and yet, as I watched it, it seemed as light and easy as a dandelion in the wind. That day I prayed that God would make me as joyful and light as that little bird.

Today, a word was spoken to me. A wounded bird, with a broken wing, longing to fly, work and be strong, but unable to move. "Your healing will come," the word said, "but for now, rest."

For several months now, my hummingbird has visited me almost every morning as I pray and read scripture by my ceiling to floor windows, overlooking the skyscapers of San Diego. Where on earth this hummingbird came from I could not say. But he comes, feeding on the nectars of a pine tree in between my building and the apartments next to mine. I thank God he found it because he speaks to me of rest, joy and life. A reminder from God that my healing will come. That the joy I long for is in His hands.

Life... It makes me think of Elijah, the great prophet who called down fire from heaven and wowed the nations with the power of God... and then ran like a frightened child from an angry queen. (1 Kings 19) What happens in the life of a prophet, or leader, that changes that confidence in the greatness and goodness of God, to a fear and depression that cripples one's ability to even listen to the same God? There could be a million answers, but look at God's response to Elijah: "Rest." Even as he runs away, God does not rebuke him, but heals him through provision, rest and whispers. Elijah sleeps, in the middle of nowhere, exhausted. An angel touches him and brings him food. Elijah sleeps again, and again the angel touches him and gives him food saying, "the journey is too much for you." Elijah regains his strength physically but continues to run, straight to Mt. Horeb, the mountain of God. Again, God descends, not with words of condemnation or telling him to go back, but with a question: What are you doing here? Twice he asks Elijah this question, accepting Elijah's condition while drawing him close and inviting him to think about his heart. "What are you afraid of...? Think about it... Look at me," He says. Elijah is depressed, discouraged... the words of the angel ring true in his soul... "the journey is too much for you." And God sees his soul. Twice God invites him to speak, and then listens. Just listens. Wow... God listened. And then he healed. Before confronting Elijah's doubt, speaking truth, or giving a command, God invites Elijah into his presence, saying, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Elijah doesn't need a Bible lesson or a rebuke, a command or a promise even. He needs an encounter with a loving God! He has seen God's power. Now he needs God's whisper to his soul.  A place of healing in God's presence.

God knows... He knows we are tired. He knows that, like Elijah, sometimes the pain and fear of this world suck out the life and joy from our souls and all we want to do is literally curl up under a bush and die. Sometimes He responds by setting us back on our feet and rebuking our doubt like he did to Peter. But sometimes... he lets us sleep. And He touches us, feeds us, listens to us and whispers. Those whispers are life. They are God Himself holding your soul, saying, "You are not alone. I am real, I am here, and I am for you. I am not just for your ministry, I am for you." God knows when it is time to rest, and He will be there with you. It is ok to rest. Where is the mountain where you hear the whisper? Maybe it's time to go there for a while, until God passes by and gives you life again.

God eventually did send Elijah back, but He also saw what Elijah needed. He did not send him back alone, but gave him a partner. Actually He gave him a whole team of helpers, along with a vision of new hope for what God had done and would do that Elijah could not see before. Many would say that Elijah's flight was weak, faithless and would be seen as shameful in our ministry culture today. Still, nowhere in the account do we see a hint of condemnation or anger from God. All we see is nearness, mercy, rest and restoration. There are times in our lives when all we need is rest as God touches our souls as we sleep and whispers his love and hope into our ears. This is my rest, and I am so thankful that I have a God who knows my weakness and my need and meets me right there, with a hummingbird in my window and whispers in my soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movement

Now and again there is a personal question that just seems impossible to answer, whether it is because the question is too emotionally charged, too complex or you just really don't know! Recently I have been asked frequently how I am doing with my recent move. As simple as that question seems, I have had the hardest time answering! Movement is complicated. Movement by its own nature is unresolved. And... I am still in movement.

The beautiful thing about movement led by God is that it is an act of trust, and trust always draws us closer to Him. Moving from California to small-town Arkansas is a challenge to say the least. There is a letting go of many beautiful and meaningful things and people. But as I am moving into this place of obedience, listening and dependence that movement necessarily brings, I am sensing a deeper, wider well of the Spirit's wisdom and pull.  There is a serenity as I gaze into that well in the midst of the movement, and there is an awareness that God i…

Soul Rest

It is one of those beautiful rare moments of rest. Real soul rest, when the sin that has been eating at our hearts is revealed, confessed and healed. What peace! Oh that those moments would not be so rare but that I would become adamant about asking God to reveal my sin and give the grace of repentance and cleansing. I read in a book today that we often ask God to snap his fingers to bring healing or change, but we are unwilling to look at the root of the pain or behavior.  He knows better... A symptom that is instantly removed without true healing will inevitably return, and often even more entrenched as we choose the sin again that is strengthening it. Sometimes our suffering is God's grace to reveal the source of our pain or reactions so that we will see the pattern, the depth of the wound, the need for healing and the sin that has grown in response to the wound. Sometimes this sin is more harmful to our souls than the original wound, as we scramble to protect, defend, control …

The Call

I had a moment of compassion for Moses the other day.  What a confusing life this guy had!  Adopted by Pharoah's daughter, but raised by his mother for the first few years of life.  Then taken away from his mother to go live in Pharoah's household.  Meanwhile his family and friends are slaves, suffering because of the unjust treatment of his adoptive family.  He is not fully a part of either family, living on the edge of both.  Then in a moment of anger over the injustice, he tried to defend his people by killing one of the slavemasters.   The result: Both his biological and adoptive families rejected him!  He flees into the desert and ends up forming a completely new family through his new wife.  He finally belongs!  Then, years later... he stumbles upon a burning bush, and a God he doesn't even know tells him to go back to Egypt to lead his people out of Egypt against the will of the Pharoah, the most powerful military force in the world.  Riiiiiiiight...   It's easy…