Skip to main content

The Call

I had a moment of compassion for Moses the other day.  What a confusing life this guy had!  Adopted by Pharoah's daughter, but raised by his mother for the first few years of life.  Then taken away from his mother to go live in Pharoah's household.  Meanwhile his family and friends are slaves, suffering because of the unjust treatment of his adoptive family.  He is not fully a part of either family, living on the edge of both.  Then in a moment of anger over the injustice, he tried to defend his people by killing one of the slavemasters.   The result: Both his biological and adoptive families rejected him!  He flees into the desert and ends up forming a completely new family through his new wife.  He finally belongs!  Then, years later... he stumbles upon a burning bush, and a God he doesn't even know tells him to go back to Egypt to lead his people out of Egypt against the will of the Pharoah, the most powerful military force in the world.  Riiiiiiiight...   It's easy to criticize Moses' hesitation, but, seriously???  How many of us enjoy conversations like the one he would have to have with both of his families...  or how many of us would feel ok about walking up to the King of a nation and tell them we are taking away their entire slave labor?  I mean, our country had a civil war over this issue! 

Moses' first question was, "Um, who are you?"  (I think I would want to know who was asking me to do this too!)  Then, "Aaaaaaand... what's your name?"  (Another good one!)  God was very patient with Moses and took time to introduce Himself to him and even to humor Moses' request for someone else to speak instead.  God let him bring his brother Aaron along. 

Moses could not see himself the same way God did.  He didn't know his potential because He didn't know God. Plain and simple.  Why should he?  He never belonged.  He was often judged, abandoned, passed around and then right-out rejected by both his peoples.  Why would he ever think of himself as someone with purpose, someone loved by God, respected by others or fully accepted?  This was not his experience. 

When God said "Hello" and called Moses into his purpose, it clashed with the story Moses had been telling himself his whole life.  God was introducing Moses to the way God had seen him all along.  Before Moses was born, God knew who Moses would be.  I imagine God watching Moses' life, knowing all along what the future held.  How would Moses' life been different if he knew this too? We will never know, but what we do know is twofold:

1. It took Moses time to fully lean into who God said he was.
2. When God called Moses into his destiny, everything changed.

What if this is true of us as well?  We live our lives by the story and identity we create for ourselves, based on experiences we have had, until God calls us into a different story.  He begins to show us how HE sees us.  God's vision of us is WAY bigger than the vision we have of ourselves.  And this changes everything if we will only lean into it.  What if there is a story you cannot see, an identity that God has given you, a love unknown, a family of your own, a calling on your life you have no idea about?  Has God been calling out to you?  Has He been saying there is something more?  It may take time to adjust our story to His, but it changes everything...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Rest

It is one of those beautiful rare moments of rest. Real soul rest, when the sin that has been eating at our hearts is revealed, confessed and healed. What peace! Oh that those moments would not be so rare but that I would become adamant about asking God to reveal my sin and give the grace of repentance and cleansing. I read in a book today that we often ask God to snap his fingers to bring healing or change, but we are unwilling to look at the root of the pain or behavior.  He knows better... A symptom that is instantly removed without true healing will inevitably return, and often even more entrenched as we choose the sin again that is strengthening it. Sometimes our suffering is God's grace to reveal the source of our pain or reactions so that we will see the pattern, the depth of the wound, the need for healing and the sin that has grown in response to the wound. Sometimes this sin is more harmful to our souls than the original wound, as we scramble to protect, defend, control …

Movement

Now and again there is a personal question that just seems impossible to answer, whether it is because the question is too emotionally charged, too complex or you just really don't know! Recently I have been asked frequently how I am doing with my recent move. As simple as that question seems, I have had the hardest time answering! Movement is complicated. Movement by its own nature is unresolved. And... I am still in movement.

The beautiful thing about movement led by God is that it is an act of trust, and trust always draws us closer to Him. Moving from California to small-town Arkansas is a challenge to say the least. There is a letting go of many beautiful and meaningful things and people. But as I am moving into this place of obedience, listening and dependence that movement necessarily brings, I am sensing a deeper, wider well of the Spirit's wisdom and pull.  There is a serenity as I gaze into that well in the midst of the movement, and there is an awareness that God i…

Healing with the Healer

I just want people to feel better.  That's what I want for my clients and friends.  But that's not it.  I want people to have a deep, indwelling sense of God's love and presence that brings healing to their pain and disconnection. That as they begin to connect with the Father, they will begin to heal with others as well. I'm realizing that this drives both my joy and pain in my work and relationships.  When people are disconnected from God and themselves, I feel their pain and isolation.  When they live in a world of felt rejection, I cry out for their longing to be loved.  And when they can't connect to the Father in their pain, I grieve for the untapped healing they could receive.  I'm realizing that when anything else is my goal I burn out, because I am trying to facilitate healing through a means I don't believe in.  The result is to feel disconnected from myself, from God and from others.  God is healer. Period.  HOW he heals is up to him, and my job i…